Do you remember the time when you were a kid and your mom asked you to pack your things because your dad got assigned to a different state and the entire family needed to move?
Whether it is during your childhood, when you move out of your parent’s house as an adult, or if you just got tired of the apartment that you are living and you need a new ‘environment’ – almost everyone has experienced the hassles and pains of moving at one point in their lives.
Remember that no matter how stressful the act of moving is, there is always a way to make the experience a lot more tolerable.
Useful Moving Tips
Here are several moving tips that you need to keep in mind so that you can turn moving from a chore to an exciting activity, don’t forget to call in the Cookson Moving – The Blackpool Removals if needed.
1. Even if you live in a studio room apartment and you only have a few things to load into the back of your car, moving is something which should not be done alone. Get the help of friends and relatives – and if you are on a tight budget, ply them with food and drinks and make sure to promise to return the favor when it is their turn to move.
2. Next, if you have huge appliances like beds, TV racks and kitchen appliances to move – it is better to hire a professional moving company. Go online and search for moving companies which offer a reasonable rate. Make sure to compare the rates first, ask about all the extra charges and determine whether they offer interstate moving services or in-state moving only.
3. When moving out of state, the moving company should provide you with a copy of the Bill of Lading. This should be attached with a binding or non-binding estimate and an inventory of your things.
4. Give yourself plenty of time to move. For example, if your lease on your old apartment will expire in one month, make sure to book for a moving company by then and determine where you will move in. Packing can be done preferably a week or so before, especially if you have a lot of stuff.
5. Before placing anything in a box, make an inventory of all of your things. Aside from labeling the boxes, assign a number to them so that it will be easier to trace once things go out of hand during the height of your move.
6. Make sure that you will not run out of boxes and other moving supplies. Packing tapes, markers, and lots and lots of boxes – these are the supplies that you need to make your moving less of a hassle.
7. When stuffing items onto a box, make sure that they are not too heavy to be lifted by one person.
With these useful moving tips, transitioning from one apartment or house to another will be a much easier task.
At one point or another, you or your entire family would have to go through the motions of moving from one house or apartment to another. No matter how tight a budget you have set for yourself, hiring professional movers is always the better choice as compared to attempting the move by yourself – the costs will all be worth it in the end.
This is especially true if you live in New York City, where moving companies are aplenty. To get the best bang for your buck, there are several factors that you need to consider when hiring a New York moving company. Take a look at the following list:
When you go online and search for “New York moving company”, thousands of results will come up. Before hiring a mover, make sure to narrow down your search to two or three companies. Make sure to determine the legitimacy by checking the name of the New York moving company with the Better Business Bureau.
Beware of moving companies which do not conduct a home visit prior to the move. A representative from the company should visit to take stock of the things that need to be moved, after which an estimate of the costs will be made. If the rates offered by a Moving Company seem to good to be true, it probably is.
Also, when making an interstate move, you should be provided with a copy of the Bill of Lading, which is attached with the binding or non-binding estimate, the order of service and the inventory.
Make sure to book the services of a New York moving company way in advance. The months of August and September are particularly heavy, so you may want to book a mover at least one month before the date of your move. This should also give you plenty of time to prepare the moving supplies, and free up your schedule for the date that you will move out.
Usually, the costs charged by a New York moving company are based on the weight of the materials to be moved. Again, someone from the moving company should pay you a visit to take stock of your things, so that they can make an estimate of the cost.
Aside from the per-weight rate, there may be additional fees charged by the moving company if the movers need to climb up stairs. Be sure to ask about all the costs involved before hiring a mover.
Quality of Service
Just as it is when paying for any type of service, a New York moving company should give you good, quality service. The movers should be professional, friendly and reliable. They should also be able to answer any inquiries that you may have. You may want to ask your friends or relatives if they know of a good New York moving company which offers good rates and quality service.
To sum it all up, choosing a New York moving company involves more than just looking up a name in the yellow pages. To get the best deals, you should take time in comparing the rates and the quality of service that each company offers and make your decision from there.